Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Parcels
These delicious low carb and vegetarian parcels are stuffed with a flavoursome cheese and spinach filling. Topped with a rich tomato sauce and finished off with a layer of melted cheesy goodness. This is definitly a meal worth making.Print Pin Rate
- 4 zucchini
- 500 g fresh ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves shredded
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Basil fresh
- Oregano fresh
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/1 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Using a slicer, slice thin slices of zucchini lengthwise. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by heating olive oil in a large pot. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened. Season to taste.
- While sauce is cooking prepare the filling by adding all filling ingredients to a mixing bowl, mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Lay zucchini strips out flat as shown. Place a dollop of filling into the centre of zucchini and fold the strips over to encase filling as shown. Turn parcel over so that the ends are under parcel.
- Repeat until all remaining zucchini and filling has been used. Recipe makes 16 parcels.
- When sauce has thicken spread a thin layer over the base of a baking tray, arrange zucchini parcels in the baking tray and top with remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place baking tray into oven and bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with steamed vegetables tossed in butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 482mg | Potassium: 447mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Net Carbs: 6g